Royal Exposé: Endgame Article Pulls Back the Curtain on Racist CommentsNovember 29, 2023
“Endgame,” the fiery new expose on the disintegration of the British royal family, has had its Dutch translation pulled after an “error” identified the person who infamously expressed concern over the color of Prince Archie’s skin. The decision to pull the Dutch translation of Omid Scobie’s book, “Endgame: Inside the Royal Family and the Monarchy’s Fight for Survival,” comes just after it hit shelves Tuesday and is only a temporary move, People reports. “Having only written and edited the English version of ‘Endgame,’ I can only comment on that manuscript — which does not name the two individuals who took part in that conversation,” royal journalist Scobie said in a statement to the magazine. “I’m happy to hear that the error in the translation of the Dutch edition is being fixed.” Scobie did not elaborate on whether the Dutch version was a translation of an earlier draft of the book in which the names were revealed — or if the error was something to do with the translation itself. Dutch readers eager to devour the dirty laundry aired in Scobie’s book — which details what led to and followed the decision of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to step down as working royals — will only have to wait until Dec. 8, when Dutch publishers confirmed to People that the “rectified edition … will be in bookstores.” The book also deals in the aftermath of Queen Elizabeth II’s death last year, and how it “dismantled the protective shield” around the family, which holds “antiquated ideas around race, class, and money.”
“Scobie pulls back the curtain on an institution in turmoil to show what the monarchy must change in order to survive,” reads part of publisher HarperCollins’ synopsis. While speaking to Oprah Winfrey in 2021, Harry and Meghan revealed that there had been “concerns and conversations about how dark [Archie’s] skin might be when he’s born.”“That conversation I’m never going to share. It was awkward. I was a bit shocked,” Harry, 39, said at the time. After the interview’s airing, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed the remarks had not been made by Queen Elizabeth nor Prince Philip, though they never revealed who was behind them.