Tragic Death of Bronx NYCHA Fire Victim, 39, Linked to Lithium-Ion Battery Fire, FDNY Investigation Finds

December 4, 2023 By admin Off

A 39-year-old man died as a result of a Bronx NYCHA fire caused by a lithium-ion battery. The victim passed away at Jacobi Medical Center at 8:14 p.m. Thirteen others were injured in the fire, which was determined to be caused by a lithium-ion battery. The fire occurred on the 10th floor of a high-rise at the Bronx River Houses in Soundview. Firefighters responding to the scene discovered an e-bike near the front door. Four individuals were taken to hospitals, and nine others were treated on the scene. It took 78 firefighters from 20 different units to control the flames, and as of Nov. 20, there had been 243 fires, 124 injuries, and 17 deaths related to lithium-ion batteries. Legislation has been proposed to mandate increased fire safety precautions for shop owners selling e-bikes due to the rise in fires caused by lithium-ion batteries.